I’ve had a few recent encounters with mushrooms in the park and in the backyard. There’s something really fascinating about how they seem to just appear overnight and don’t bother to blend in with the scenery most of the time. On the one hand, they’re delicious, and on the other they can kill you in pretty horrible ways (liver and kidney failure, for example).
I’m just starting to learn how to identify wild mushrooms. I can usually identify ones that I think are edible, but I lack the confidence to actually pluck, cook and eat ones I find in the wild.
Still, mushrooms are the cutest members of the fungi kingdom. Certainly, they’re one of the few poisonous things I’d consider putting on a wedding cake.